“If I Die Young” Story Behind the Lyrics – The Band Perry

There is something so morbidly poetic about The Band Perry’s “If I Die Young” that I can’t help, but turn it up and listen to it over and over again. Here’s the story behind the lyrics….

Theboot.com  has the story straight from Kimberly Perry of The Band Perry. She says that “If I Die Young” was the first song written for their upcoming album. She along with her 2 brothers,  Reid and Neil (also in the band), got together on a cloudy day in East Tennessee, where they live, and came up with the concept and then turned it into a song.  The meaning of the song is simple, it’s about making the most of whatever time you are given, whether it’s 2 years or 20 years. She goes on to says that even at their young ages they have all lived and loved and if it all ends at this moment, look what they’ve gotten to do. “Whatever time we’re given will be absolutely enough as long as we make the most of it”. I like the song even more now!

The Band Perry “If I Die Young” Lyrics

If I die young bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song
oh oh oh oh

Lord make me a rainbow, I’ll shine down on my mother
She’ll know I’m safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh and
Life ain’t always what you think it ought to be, no
ain’t even grey, but she buries her baby

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I’ve had just enough time

If I die young bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I’ve had just enough time

And I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom
I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger
I’ve never known the lovin’ of a man
But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand
There’s a boy here in town says he’ll love me forever
Who would have thought forever could be severed by

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I’ve had just enough time

So put on your best boys and I’ll wear my pearls
What I never did is done

A penny for my thoughts, oh no I’ll sell them for a dollar
They’re worth so much more after I’m a goner
And maybe then you’ll hear the words I been singin’
Funny when you’re dead how people start listenin’

If I die young bury me in satin
Lay me down on a bed of roses
Sink me in the river at dawn
Send me away with the words of a love song
oh oh

The ballad of a dove
Go with peace and love
Gather up your tears, keep ’em in your pocket
Save them for a time when your really gonna need ’em oh

The sharp knife of a short life, well
I’ve had just enough time

So put on your best boys and I’ll wear my pearls

What's Next?
"Like" us on Facebook & Follow us on Twitter
Flip through some KFROG and Artist Photos
See what Concerts and Events are coming through the area
More from Kelli Green
Comments

1. megan says:

SOOOOOOOOOO LUV THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! MY FAVE!?!?! I

1. lanaya says:

i didn’t hear that band before?

2. megan says:

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO LUV THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!! MY FAVE!?! THE BAND PERRY ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Dayna says:

i think this song is the single most beautiful song ever! it amazes me how song people can be so poetic and deep!

1. bob says:

after 42 years of life and now facing an early death due to my choices i have never had a song touch my heart so deeply

1. Peggy says:

What do you mean by youro choices??
        I am in stage 4 kidney failure and think about the same thing a lot. I could just take medication that makes kidneys shut down.
        Not sure if that would be suicide, wouldn’t hurt family as much if they did not know I did that.

2. Christopher says:

bob I am so sorry to hear about your early death. I hope that the rest of your life on this earth is great and wonderful. And you find peace within yourself. We all make choices. Just know that you are always loved. Sending you Peace

3. owen2011 says:

Peggy, dont know you darlin but if you are still with us…and I hope you are…as some one who has had a loved one die and didnt know why till much later…I would rahter know all the details …even though you may think that would be too painful it is far less than waking up to a shock and not have been able to be there with your loved one through their final days…It is hard to watch those you care about die, but at least you were able to be with them and hold their hand or pick at them or bug them or what ever…share a favorite movie together or idk…..just know that you mean so much to them and I am sure they love you deeply…life is a gift we never know when that gift may expire but it is to be shared with all….nearly lost my mom when she was 29 and myself when I was 26…if it was not for hope and God my new baby would have never been born and I would have lost my mom at age 6….I know you are or must be suffering but hold on…if you are already gone know your life made a difference and an impact..God bless you sweetheart…you are so brave..and BOB dont beat yourself up darlin, just from now on make the best of tthe time you do have left let this song help and heal you and inspire you to press on.❤

4. Heather says:

I love this song so amazing

Plus it help me figure out what to write for homework🙂

5. ale says:

I love this song!!!!!!!!!
    It’s sooooo good!!

6. heather says:

i love this song
    it has so much meaning put into it
    you guys probably touched alot of people with the making of it.

7. Vickttoyia says:

i love this sooooonnnnnggggg

8. Meghen says:

I LOVE THIS SONG SOOOOOOOO MUCH!!!!! SHE HAS A BEAUTIFUL VOICE!!!!! My mother thinks that this song is a sad song but it’s not and it is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO BEAUTIFUL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1. terri johnson says:

same with me my mom doesent whant me to lisen to it but i put it on my mp3 and lisen to it on the bus shhhhhhhhhhhhh dont tell my mom. y does your mom think it is sad

9. martha says:

What does the sharp knife have to do with the song???

1. Robert says:

I believe the sharp knife refers to the pain caused by someone you love dieing to young

1. Alee says:

or that her life was cut short

2. Kely says:

After loosing my daughter when she was 18, I believe the sharp knife is for the ones that were left behind to deal with missing their loved ones. They are the ones who feel the sharp knife.

3. Marcella says:

i agree:):):):)
        <3marcella<3

2. Mikaila says:

the sharp knife symbolises how it is painful for others to see someone soo young die. Especially if they are older than you because you are gone and they are still living.

1. Lena says:

If someone dies young its sad but I lost my dad when he was 51 and I was 9 and it didn’t make it anyless sad that he was older. The songs beautiful and this is my only problem with it. She has the most beautiful voice I have heard in a long time.

10. katie says:

a sharp knife simply has to do with how they could die after they had their time doing whatever and making it your best! but i love this song! the kimberly, neil, and reid were all so nice when i met them! this is also one of my favorite songs! it helped me with my homework as well! cant wait for the band perry to have another great song! but all their songs are great! they all have great voices🙂

11. saints#9 says:

A girl at my school named Angelle Ulfers died yesterday in a car accident. She was a Junior at St. Scholastica Academy in Covington, LA. She was the most beautiful person ever and she was so popular people in all grades loved her. The part about the boy reminds me of her and boyfriend Mason. They played this last night at our prayer service for her.

1. aLpHa says:

im SOO SORRY!!! i no that must hurt…

1. ally says:

i LOVE this song in music class we have to wright a report on a band and a song thats meaningful to us and i chose if i die young i love it so much my friend caressa her aunt died a few weekes ago she was only 20 it was so sad she died in a car accident the car raped around a tree caressa cries every time she haers this song poor caressa she still haveing trouble about it to

12. Jennifer says:

(to Martha) the lyrics are, “the sharp knife of a short life”. If you notice that phrase is put after lyrics like “Ain’t even gray, but she buries her baby” and “There’s a boy here in town, says he’ll love me forever. Who would have thought forever would be severed by..” Basically the “sharp knife” is symbolic to the pain one feels when losing someone they love. Like a mother losing her child, or a person losing someone they are in love with, especially at a young age.

I absolutely love this song. Losing someone can be so hard and this song is helping me get through my loss. I can’t speak for everyone else, but I know that I am selfish when someone dies and only think about how sad I am. But this puts a new perspective, that person had their time and was able to have the time to make a memory for me to keep in my heart. It’s enough to make a lasting impression, even if its only to one heart.

1. Monica says:

“But this puts a new perspective, that person had their time and was able to have the time to make a memory for me to keep in my heart. It’s enough to make a lasting impression, even if its only to one heart.”

Thank you for this. I just lost my aunt and while she wasn’t young by mosts standards (59) I felt as if I didn’t get enough time with her and her loss was very sudden. Her heart stopped beating in her sleep. I heard this song the morning after her passing and broke down crying. I couldn’t understand why this touched me so much but I am guessing it is because as you said it makes me realize she had her time and although short I have her here with me forever. It brings some kind of comfort to me to listen to this song.

13. linda says:

i love this song!!! its means so much to me after losing my father wheni was 9 <33

1. shierly says:

i love this song too,everytime i hear it i remember my father who died last nov 9 2010,because of acute pancreatitis,i was hurt when he died and think that its the end of my world..i see him at the hospital and i feel how painful what he feel’s,,,it breaks my heart to see him in that way,,i wish that im on his situation…i love you so much “papa” till we meet again…i miss u so much..

14. Buggy says:

I love this song, its dark but beautiful. It makes you stop and think, about what youve done, what you want to do, and weither your happy with what youve accomplished. Its hard to find music now adays that makes you think about life, not love, or money, or work, but life and your place in it. deffanitly one of my favorite bands and songs.

15. bri says:

someday i’m going to be a singer and dancer i love this song.

16. kristina says:

i love this song and you should a love this song to because its a true song meaning the story behind it is true ( life your life as if its the last ) once i read this i truly fell in love with this song even more

17. denese says:

I have recently lost a very close friend who was only 17 to a car crash. I ha never heard this song before until the day after her funeral. I love this song it has so much meaning to it. Thank you for that song I really needed it!!!

18. Cassnadra Yinger says:

I just saw & met them two weeks ago and I will be a fan for life. Really sweet girl. She said to her brothers about me, ” She’s so nice. What a nice lady.” They deserve all the success in the world. I bought their cd today when it came out. Please do the same. I’ve had three friends die young that the song reminds me of. I had one friend I worked with who was shot & killed at 19, protecting his friends. His killer only spent 2 yrs in jail. I had a friend from high school who died in a workplace explosion 3 days before his wedding, and we had a girl I knew fairly well die in a car crash just a few days before graduation. I think this song will give peace & comfort to many others.

19. jenn says:

i cryed.i luve this song

20. stephanie says:

i lost a baby whe she was 3 months old-14 years ago-“sharp knife of a short life” is well put when death comes unexpected and life cut so short

1. Amber Wydeven says:

How horrible to lose a baby at 3 months old. I cannot imagine your pain. Whether 3 days or 14 years goes by, you always wonder what or where they would be in life. I hope you had the chance to have wonderful babies to watch grow. I know it’s not the same, but my heart goes out to you.

21. Melody Driscoll says:

This is my new favorite song! One of my best friends Tristan Shane Keown died on 5-21-10 he wasw 15 years old. it was the first day of summer and this song makes me and all of my friends think of him. This song makes me cry everytime I listen to it but I love it more then any other song I have listened to! R.I.P. Tristan Shane Keown. I love you and miss you too much.

1. Marcella says:

I am very sorry for your loss–he will always be with you, you don’t have to miss him;he is in a better place now
      <3marcella<3

22. Melody Driscoll says:

and man.. i would do anyhting to be able to meet them… they inspire me…. and they open me up….

23. Judy says:

I love this song and believe that it really hits home with me, I have a friend that was killed by her boyfriend in a domestic violence dispute…….this song could have been written for an instance like that as well……..Addalaina was stabbed over 30 times by her boyfriend, and when I hear this song and the lyrics that state “There’s a boy her who says he’d love me forever, who ever thught forever could be severed by the sharp knife of a short life” It reminds me so much of her…..thanks fo such a great song!!!!

24. alicia says:

this song is my favorite song i love listening to it over and over again it amazing

25. Catie says:

this song touches me because at the same time you can think about it as a person who was once depressed then you think of this song and you understand that you cant control how long your life is but you can make the most of what time you have. So it might make you think twice on how your living your life and if your living it the way you want to

26. Brienna says:

my mom thinks its sad to but i just love this song and try not to cry

27. Helen says:

I heard this song on the radio and it caught my attension. I think this is the most poetic and deep song i have geard in REALLY long time.

28. brittney says:

wonderful song

29. A sick Freak says:

The knife refers to the fact that she used it to kill her gay brother’s two year old retarded baby. She then put in in satin on a bed of roses and sunk it in the river at dawn. True story.

1. Carrie says:

um??? not really

2. Peg W says:

Who is your resource of this info you claim is true.

3. Virginia says:

not necessary…..

30. Veronica says:

This is so true, Life is too short to not live it to the fullest! Great song!! I want this song to be played at my celebration of life when I leave this earth and go up to see Jesus! Thank you’ll for a wonderful blessed song!! V

31. Russell says:

I like this song as well. I agree that is has much deep poetic meaning, but the truth is that most people are so illiterate that they don’t understand. My girlfriend heard on the radio this morning, our local DJ bashing the song because it is so ‘depressing’ and a local woman called in with agreement. I like what Kelli Said. It makes it a motivating song, I believe; it should get people thinking about their priorities and not taking for granted, what or who they have. It is a little along the lines of “The Dance” as sung by Garth Brooks. Great song! I appreciate the comments made by folks on this site. Would like to hear an argument from the opposition with some real substance.

32. Jessica says:

With the rise in teen suicide the message of this song romanticizes death and the video detaches the finality of it by bringing the girl back to life to happily rejoin her friends and family. It is a very concerning thought that this is what is playing over and over in the ipods of America’s angst filled youth.

1. Michelle says:

I don’t think that bringing the girl “back” to life was supposed to negate the finality of death. They were doing a part, a script, to show their own age group just how easy it would be to end it all and all the things they would miss, but at the same time, if such a horrible disaster should happen realize that what time they did have was lived to the fullest.

2. Wil Craig says:

I totally agree. I can see how the meaning they wanted was “Live your life to the fullest”, but some teens really don’t get that death is the end. No more fun, living, or seeing that “people start listening” to you. I think the message needs to be more clear in an age of increasing teen suicide. It is not the answer. Don’t romanticize it. We don’t need more teen deaths.

33. Kaitlyn says:

would you use this song in a wedding? im not sure?

1. Sheroxthehouse! says:

No but probably I fueneral for a younger person but I guess you could like to say what you want your partner to do if you were to die but probably not because you probably would want happier love songs(:

2. ropergirl says:

i love this song soooo much! i really enjoy singing it with my band, but i wouldnt suggest it for a wedding song.

3. Carrie says:

no not really

34. Sheroxthehouse! says:

I thought that it was talking about in the beginning that she was saying what she would want if she died young then web on to say something about being in love and she was killed with a knife or something and talking about going on to heaven. Is that at all right???? this song is amazing but confusing!(:

35. Alana says:

Never heard of thid band before until a friend told me about them and this song. I have become addicted to them ever since!!!! The Band Perry is AWESOME!!!!!

36. Michelle says:

I love this song but as a “senior” citizen it is sad in a way that ones so young are the ones to come up with such wisdom

1. Laurie says:

…. Old Or young You either have morals and Love or you dont.. Like me relationship with this song.. wish the man that I love would just be honest.. i can always forgive honesty.. it’s who I am.. but why must people hide? Also my father committed suicide short time back.. weird cause he was a strong man.. always said you mess up face it .. make it right and dont do it again.. however he had been taking Welbutrin for 2 weeks.. now he is gone out of my life till we meet in the rainbow..

37. Brandy says:

My little brother died in Nashville at 24. This song makes me think of him. I miss him so much.

38. Nicole says:

WOW!! i love this song! I used to be all sad all the time and I thought life wasnt worth it. But then I met Jesus Christ and I also heard this song on the same night and I realized…..Life is worth everything!! God DIED for us so we LIVE for him!!! I love this song!! it s changed my life!!!!((: soo…..mkaayyy byee!!(:

39. Sabrina says:

My sister payed this song for me right after i found out that someone i have known since i was young died in an accident…i listen to this song every night. Its amazing and now it reminds me of her…Her name is Daniel she was my sisters best friend…

1. Sabrina says:

sorry it was suppose to say played…

40. Milena Byrum says:

I LOVE THIS SONG IT IS AMAZING I AM SO EXCITED I FOUNDED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

41. DeeDee says:

I have had three friends pass away over the course of this year. All between the ages of 16 and 21. All of them too young to die. Somehow this song makes the pain of losing them just a little bit easier.

1. aLpHa says:

thats really sad… i wish u could c them again… im lucky,then… but i still know how that feels…

42. luv you says:

If I die young bury me in satin
    Lay me down on a bed of roses
    Sink me in the river at dawn
    Send me away with the words of a love song
    oh oh oh oh ..: if I die young, take good care of me and remember me:
    Lord make me a rainbow, I’ll shine down on my mother
    She’ll know I’m safe with you when she stands under my colors, oh and
    Life ain’t always what you think it ought to be, no
    ain’t even grey, but she buries her baby:
    Tell my mom I love her and that I am ok, so it wont be that gray when she buries me.

The sharp knife of a short life, well
    I’ve had just enough time : A knife that ended someone’s young life

And I’ll be wearing white when I come into your kingdom
    I’m as green as the ring on my little cold finger
    White means she will be in heaven and she will be clean again, and dirty means green, and she refers to a ring

I’ve never known the lovin’ of a man
    But it sure felt nice when he was holding my hand
    There’s a boy here in town says he’ll love me forever
    Who would have thought forever could be severed by A sharp knife of a short life:
    She has never had sex/ been seriously in love, seriously been in love…. but she met a a boy who held he hand and he said forever and it was not full filled because she died

A penny for my thoughts, oh no I’ll sell them for a dollar
    They’re worth so much more after I’m a gonner
    And maybe then you’ll hear the words I been singin’
    Funny when you’re dead how people start listenin’
    People didn’t pay attention to what she really says, but after she died people understood her better
    The ballad of a dove
    Go with peace and love
    Gather up your tears, keep ‘em in your pocket
    Save them for a time when your really gonna need ’em oh
    She is saying people shouldn’t be upset that she died, and that she is still actually with them

1. Sady says:

No, “I’ll be wearing white” refers to her virginity. Remember she “never knew the lovng of a man”… Green also refers to this…She’s green when it comes to knowing about sex.

2. kali says:

send this song to my yahoo page. please

3. Jennifer says:

I think that when she says gray she is saying that her mom dosen’t have grey hair, no matter how you slice it the funeral of a young person will be grey.

43. bella says:

this song id beautiful. it shows meaning as well as understanding. i hope many more listeners get what i got from it

44. Katherine says:

I usually don’t listen to country but I love this song! It’s one of my favorites and the lyrics are so meaningful.

45. shelby says:

i love this song it is so beautiful!!! but i dont get the part where it says ” funny when your dead how people start listin” and the part ” with the sharp knife of a short life well iv had just enough time” it makes it sound like suiside:( but the song is so beautiful and kimberly perry has a beautiful voice:):):):):):):):):):):)

46. leah says:

i love this song so much n i love the meaning “whatever time we’re given will absoulutly enough as long as we make the most of it”

47. hannah says:

i love this song

1. hannah says:

i love you

48. Tori says:

This song is a remake… She didn’t write it at all.

1. Jennifer says:

Where did you get that info? don’t go saying things without info to back it up!

49. Jennifer says:

I recieved this song on a fwd, it sounded good so i decided to look it up and hear the whole song. it sank my heart into tears. this song makes me think about everything i have in life and to go day by day cherishing every moment i have with the people i love. This song is truely the best song of country time.

1. Jennifer says:

Hey Hi!

50. Shelbylynn says:

I love this song. it makes me smile, it reminds me of all the fun times Iv had. It makes me look toward the future. im only 15 but i konw that i have a good reason why im still here. Sometimes i think about how it would effect my mother if i were to die, and we have time to spend so why not spend it together. thankyou Kimberly Reid and Neil for writting this song and giveing me a Hope for everyone i love ths song and i will always think of myself as something special and not a mistake or something that went wrong.

1. Cathy says:

I just wanted you to know that I am a mom who lost her 20 year old son recently. I can tell you that for any mom to lose their child is the most gut wrenching, horriffic, heartbreaking feeling you never get over.
      Be good to your mom and careful with yourself.

51. Steven says:

Cool Song…. Glad I finally got to get the meaning of it…

52. jed says:

Best song of our time.
    I am not a big country fan;
    this is the crossover song of a era.

53. Allie dunham says:

I am currently writting a book about a girl whos life is cut short while listening to this song. Her cousin is narrorating the whole thing. It talks about how she and her cousin were planning to move to new york and become famous preformers. Will Nicole follow through with this dream and how will she acomplish it? read to find out.
    Website to follow:

54. erinn says:

i love this song and since i heard this song from my aunts phone i fell in love with it i listen to it all the time and it has tought me alot about live to live life to the fullest and be happy while doing it no matter how much time u have left ((: i love this song!!!

1. Kelsie says:

Where does the baby fit into this?

55. Lauren Michelle says:

My bestfriend was/is Samantha Kelly<3
    she was harassed bullied, and RAPED,
    She was bullied at school, noone believed she was raped.
    The police, councilors,ect.
    When samantha was alive, she got species thrown at her.
    Get this: When she was here, they had him arrested.
    When she passed, they dismissed the case. How hes running free.
    This song is perfect with the Sit.

1. aLpHa says:

that is sooo sad… i feel for u…

56. alisha says:

I LOVE THIS SONG!!!!!!!!!!!!! ITS THE BEST SONG EVER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

57. jaclyn says:

that mansion is n nashville tn….we drove by it once and had to turn around to see it because it was so beautiful…or so my mom says anyway lol that day it was gloomy so it looked haunted

58. Alexandra says:

this is my favorite song ever! i love it. when im driving with my bf in his truck and this song comes up he turns it up cause he knows how much i love this song. you guys did an amazing job on it!

59. denise says:

i love this song sooo much.. you guys are awesome…

60. aLpHa says:

i SOOO love this song!! its my fave,yet!! it speaks a truth,though… im SO in love with it! i will sing it for the annual talent show bcuz my voice is EXACTLY like Kimberly Perry´s is in this song! i wish that when i die, pple wil actually care…

61. aLpHa says:

i SOO love this song!!! it´s my fave, yet!! It speaks a truth, though… im SO gonna sing this song for the annual talent show bcuz my voice is EXACTLY like Kimberly Perry´s is in the song!! i wonder if when i die, pple will actually care… if they do, they better care enough to sing this song for me…

62. Nikki says:

This song has changed my life in many ways. . .before i heard this song i was letting life pass me by and didn’t appreciate the things i had. . .now i am greatful for every moment i have with the people i love and care about. . .if it wasn’t for this song I’m not sure if I’d still be here or not

63. summer says:

i love the way u put your words and the meaning behind the song i really understood everything u were saying when i frist heard the song i really like everything about it .

64. NETTER says:

LOVE THIS SONG FOR SO MANY REASONS.I LIVE IN TOWN IN OHIO THAT WAS HIT HARD BY A UNTHINKABLE TRAGEDY AND WE LOST 3 BEAUTIFUL PEOPLE AND A YOUNG GIRL LEFT BEHIND TO LIVE EACH DAY KNOWING WHAT HAD HAPPENED. I THINK OF HER AND HER FAMILY AND FAMILY FRIEND WHEN I LISTEN TO THIS SONG . ALWAYS THINKING OF YOU TINA,KODY AND STEPHNIE REST IN PEACE.

1. Peg W says:

I also live in Ohio and followed this story very closly as it unfolded. I pray for the healing of the remaining child and the extended family. I lost my 20 year old daughter 5 years ago, and can atest, that through much struggle and despair, I have regained some Peace in my life. God Bless You.

65. just_nikki says:

i could not agree with the blobber post before! it is so morbidly romantic, i love it! its just enough to be beautifully poetic! they nailed it! cant wait to hear whats next from them<3 my fav song now!

66. Kesha says:

My friend just passed away at the age of 20 after a 4 month battle with throat cancer. this song has just came out when she was diagnosed and I can’t hear it without crying bc she lived by the rules of you never know if you have tomorrow. She loved this very very much !

67. Carrie says:

i LOVE this song. i lost my baby sister at ten hours and everytime i hear this song it makes me think of her. R.I.P. Rosemary Jane Ball❤ forever will you be missed 06.06.05</3

68. taylor says:

I love this song! My mom passed away on august 25,2010): We played this at the funeral, and i used to hear it and start to cry, but now since i read why yall wrote the song i smile(:

69. Ann says:

i have this song memorized by heart. i will randomly break out and sing it. i love this song and it will never get old for me! (:

70. helpsavemywife.net says:

My Wifes Medication may kill her.My Hope with her condition that it don’t kill her (Gastroparesis) she got hurt at work but they won’t fix her. ck out her site helpsavemywife.net,If it does kill her she requested me to have this song played at the Service.
    because cause she is young 48 and no one would listen.

71. helpsavemywife.net says:

I don’t want to lose My Wife let everyone know of her site and ask them to Help.

72. kayla says:

i absolutely love this song i always listen to this song . song of the year for sure .

73. Spencer503 says:

I found this and dedicated it to my sister. She passed away 01/01/2011. I feel the sharp knife right now. R.I.P Sis! I love you.

74. Tom says:

I just had 2 friends pass away on new years and this song makes me tear up everytime I hear it because it reminds me of them and how unfortunat they were to have there life cut so short! R.I.P. girls

75. Billy says:

LOVE THIS SONG……A LOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

76. bob cabesas says:

i love the song… it makes me remember of my brother who passed away since i wasnt born. plus its mellow!

77. mandy says:

i really love this song:)

78. Lex says:

If I die young…. Very morbid, depressing to listen to in my opinion.

79. Lisa says:

I absolutely love this song because about 5 months ago a very close personal friend who I considered to be a sister died at only 19 years old. She had a terminal disease called Cystic Fibrosis that she was born with but she was way wiser than we all ever realized. And the whole roses thing in the song is actually really cool too considering the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation is know as the 65 roses foundation. We will be having a charity walk on May 14th in Redlands and we are all going to be walking in her memory.

1. Virginia says:

my friend at school has Cystic Fibrosis, he was born that way too. We are 13 right now, and he definatley lives life like he might not see tomorrow or at least past his 20s, God bless you and the sweet people commenting on this… cried the first time i heard this song.

1. zoe says:

my cousin has that and i love her soooo much i would die if i losed herim 14 and she just turned 11 she has had it since she was a baby ad she got a make a wish thing..the dr. said that since she had it really bad they sad she would have to be in the hospitalwhen she turned 10 but her parents worked so hard toget her healthy and so she is still running around being a kid.

LOVE you Rylee

80. Peg W says:

I lost my daughter 5 years ago, she was 20 years old, a victim of homocide. She was strangled during a rape. She is the rainbow that shines over me….everyday. I miss her so much.

81. Mikaila says:

A boy at my school named Robery, 13, commited suicide a couple months ago. He was a great friend, one of my best friends, with a hard and painful life. I wrote a book about him and have it in a drawer where i come back to it often so i will never forget him. He was just a kid who was living a life to big for his heart and mind. Yes he was a Christioan. Some might think, well if he had faith why would he do such a thing? Well i have had that question wander through my mind more than once. Sometimes i think to myself, what if i would have gone to tell him hi and talk to hm for a while that gloomy sunday morning instead of just waving? I also tell myself all the time that the wave i gave him was meant that day as a “Hi” wave but now i understand it was a “Goodbye until we meet again” wave. Please pray for Roberts family and friends. It has helped a lot from others but i know his little brother is still trying to cope with the situation. He barely comes to church now because he says it reminds him to much of his older brother.

1. Jessica says:

O Wow! I Will Always Remeber That Now! That Is TRULY Inspiring!! After Reading This It Will NEVER Cross My Mind The Same Again!!

82. kayla says:

i love that song it is going to be at my funuranl.

83. Balita says:

ok, so I read a few of the comments and I just wanted to put my opinion out there too. I don’t think that the song is dark, I think that it is supose to try to give you a possative outlook on life no matter what you have accomplished or how long you have had to do it in. I looked up the poem that they show at the end of the video and it is about a woman who is will to and does die for love. Although she has never met him, she knows that he is her true love. I guess that is part of the beatuy of any form of poetry, everyone has their own interpretation, for me I guess the simpliest way to say it is that it is an all around beautiful song telling you basically that yes it will hurt others when you die and that people start caring what you think and feel and that you exist once you don’t. Just to live life to the fullest while you can. Because you won’t be here forever. Whatcha think?

1. why? says:

This song promotes the beauty of death?

1. Julie says:

Song is about not being sad by me being gone but to celebrate who I am even if it was for a short time

84. natalie says:

my best friend was mudred by her boyfriend then he killed himself this all happened 11 2 2010 on her facebook they are posted lyrics about this song do to think she new he was going to kill her so sad cause the song is her to the green ring on her cold finger?????????????/

1. why? says:

Maybe people might be getting the wrong impression by it with all the knife talk and death subject matter, maybe it’s subliminal because it seems to depress everyone listening to it? Personally, this song creeps me out! Funerals, suicides, killings is all we’re talking about here, is it just me or is this the running theme on this page? Has anyone read the poem by Lord Tennyson, The Lady of Shalott? Wiki it, then you’ll understand better what the song really means. It’ll surprise you!

85. kali mcclanahan says:

i love the song if i die young. because my aunt had died jan. 12 2011 and that song was played.

86. Holly says:

lost my baby, Christopher, last July, making me obsessed with music directed towards loss. The first time I heard this song was about a week ago and I know I will always cherish it. Of all of the other songs I’ve listened to this is the only one that captures the beauty of it all, instead of leaving me in tears it gives me peace. This song is beautiful.

1. Robin says:

I lost my daughter nearly ten years ago and I still do that. A couple of her friends made me cd’s of songs that make me think of her and I love to listen to them.

87. snoozelee says:

This is the best song ever. The first time i heard it i cried. I LOVE IT!!!!!!!

88. Kristen says:

This song is simply amazing🙂 In the past six months i have had four friends die in car accidents and three critically injured and had serious brain trauma, this song is just a simple reminder of how short life can be.

1. Cathy says:

kristen, i am so sorry for all your loss. You sound like a very wise person. May you find joy.

2. Kelci says:

Kristen i’m sorry to😦 u sound like an *amazing* person😉

3. Jessica says:

O Wow, Kristen, It Sounds Like You Have Had A Hard LIfe! But I Can See How Strong You Are And That Is Truly Inspiring!

89. madison says:

this song makes me cry every time i hear it!

90. Cathy says:

My 20 year old son died suddenly 4 months ago. One of the ways I was able to cope is listening to this beautiful song. It was cathartic to listen to. It makes me cry my eyes out and think about how much fun my son had in his life and while he is not here, he will always be in my heart

1. Margo says:

With the anniversary of my teen aged son’s death rapidly approaching.I heard this song for the first time as I drove home from work one evening several days ago. I was sitting in traffic switching radio stations, sort of gazing into the clouds…then this beautiful tender song came on. This time of year is always a tough time for me. I have always disliked fall…a time when beautiful flowers die. Always seems symbolic of death to me especially after my son died.
      I felt comforted by the lyrics although, I began to cry like a baby. As if my handsome happy boy died yesterday. It will be 12 years on 9/7.

91. Krista says:

I love this song. After losing a friend from being stabbed it really helps when this song comes on. I feel better thinking about everythng he got to accomplish. And how his life got taken so young by a ‘sharp knife’

92. Michelle says:

I love this song. My friend recently passed from cancer. She was only 20 years old but lived one hell of a life. I’ve never been to a more crowded funeral in my entire life. I miss her so much but whenever I hear this song I feel her come alive. She certainty used all the time she had even though she was battling cancer for 7 years. Love and miss you Sammy!

93. DIANE says:

just went to a funeral of a fourteen year old and did’nt understand why she was dressed like she was, heard your song if i die young at the funeral. it was her favorite. after viewing the lyric’s i was sick. so sad how the devil can use a song like this to effect a vulnerable child going through a difficult time.please don’t glorify suicide in your future song’s. many people are hurting from this tragedy. i know it’s just anther song to you.

1. Virginia says:

this song is not to glorify suicide… definatley not. the devil has no effect in this, it is to glorify God in the way that he gave us life, and no matter how long our’s was lived, we should be thankful and cherish the time we had. read more of the comments, you may be surprised once you understand the meaning of the song. you may also be surprised to find that to everyone posting, this is not jus ‘another song’. God bless the 14 year old who’s funeral you went to.

94. Callie says:

I’m 26, and I’ve had 18 miscairrages. I’ve got a couple bleeding disorders that make it really hard to carry a baby to term. I’ve got 6 beautiful children (4 biological, 2 step), but it doesn’t take away the pain of all the children I’ve lost. “Lord make me a rainbow, I’ll shine down on my mother. She’ll know I’m safe with yo when she snds under my colors.” Those are the most beautiful words I’ve evrhard!

95. cacy smith says:

my daughter died and this song we love to hear. when we had her funeral a rainbow came out as they burried her and it reminds me of the part where she stands under my colors so she knows im safe with you thank you for making a great song.

96. claire says:

My brother died just last Nov28,10 and at his young age of 24 he had a brain infection and suffered so much due to weak resistance cause of too much smoking and drinking… at his funeral, the whole family found out that he loves this song so much and he kept playing it over and over. Not knowing he will die so young.

97. alisha johnson says:

i loveeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee this song its the besttttttttttttt song everrrrrrrrrrrrr

98. kate says:

This music video is comfuising… she dies… sinks… then gets back out? Hm… well anways, good job The Band Perry. you are amazing. she is amazing and sooo pretty!!

99. Kelci says:

i luv this song but literaly i don’t know what it means???!!

1. Kelci says:

nevermindd i kno what it means i just read it and luv it

100. tess says:

ive just heard this song for the first time this morning and i already know all of the lyrics. i have been going through so many hard times recently and hearing this song really helped me focus on all of the good things in my life.

you saved me from my sharp knife<3

101. lexxx says:

i lovezzz thiz song it soooo sozzzz collzzzzzAh

102. emccann0323 says:

We played this song at my best friend, Valerie Butler’s, funeral. Tragically, she disappeared for three weeks before her body was found in a field, dumped there by Paul A. Tripp of Florissant, Missouri.

Valerie was only 25 years old, beautiful and so full of life. Although short, her life was filled with joy and magic, and she shared it with everyone who was near to her. We miss her so much.

Thank you, Valerie, for being a part of our lives. You were my best friend, and my kids and I will carry your memory in our hearts and minds forever. Rest in peace, my friend, we will love and cherish your memory always.

Ed

103. SGT_Conley says:

Makes me remember some soldiers very much like “The Shuttle” by 10FOLD. Very sad & beautiful. Closure.

104. Ana says:

Wow that makes sense! I wish I would have known that when it first came out! Thanks for the info!

105. Kelsie says:

I love this song!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I would die for it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

106. lucas22 says:

Amazing song. I always thought it was about suicide though cause of the line “What I never did is done.” Like no one thought she would be the type of person who would take their own life and that’s where the knife came in. Then again, i’ve never been one to recognize symbolism.

107. michelle says:

My daughter was murdered in Clarksville TN by a knife and her estranged husband killed her. Wondering if this song was inspired by any acutally events. She was 18 yrs old in the Army! AND I am from MOBILE AL near where they are from.

108. sami says:

My neighbor died after a 107 degree fever this song was played at her memorial service so sad but love the song!!

1. gabby says:

omg that is soo sad!! i luv this song too

109. zoe says:

this song kinda makes me sad because i watched my dad save my bestfriends brother from drowning in the river the sad thing is my dad didnt get to him fast anough=[=[=[=[=[=[=[=[=[=[ but they said he was gone after15 mins in the water……
    WE LOVE YOU MATT!

110. gabby says:

i luv this song because it is just so touching i guess!! ohh bye the way you have a very good voice, how do you sing that good?? ive always wanted to be a professional singer and i still do but i think you have an amazing voice!!!!

111. Isabella says:

My husband, children, and myself have experienced the sharp knife of a short life when our son/brother died at 8 months old of pneumonia.
    We live every day with meaning and purpose, now more than ever. Everyone should.
    This is a beautiful song!

112. Lin says:

this is one of my fav songs

113. kali says:

i love ya song. it makes me remember of my died aunt

114. Jessica says:

I Love This Song! But It Reminds Me Of My BESTFRIEND! She Was Killed In A Car Accident! He Was 13 Years Old! He Was My Bestfriend And A Brother To Me! One Of The Closest People! Im Soo Sorry! There Was So Many Things I Wanted To Say To You! But Its To Late!
    R.I.P. Andrew!! I Love You And Miss You! I Will Always Have You In My Heart! I Will Be With You Soon Enough!

1. Jessica says:

Sorry People,It Was A *SHE*

2. Jessica says:

SORYY AGAIN! MY KEYBOARD IS MESSED UP IT IS A HE!!

115. ashley says:

i love this song

116. cassie says:

Sometimes I listen to this song when im mad or sad and it makes me think wtf have fun while youre young!❤ this song soo muchh(:

117. Sidney says:

I am a school counselor and I hate this song. Yes, it’s pretty to listen to, but what I think of every time I hear it is teen suicide. There is nothing glamorous about teens dying for any reason and this song seems to glorify death.

I don’t think it should be played.

1. Jennifer says:

IF IF IF buddy. IF, I thing it is trying to tell that they want tobe let go in a beutiful, poetic way to ease loved one’s pains not to
      ”glorify death” as you put it.

2. Rebecca says:

Sidney if u listen to wat the song is sayin u would probably fall in love with it.

3. I think this song is horrible, and when first heard it thought it was a joke. How could anybody in their right mind write a song like this, and don’t try and back peddle by saying it’s about people of any age……the lyrics say what it’s about. people listen when you’re dead….dying young…sounds all so pretty. this song should not be allowed to be played on public airways and this band should be ashamed of itself. it is not a pretty song. it’s a dangerous song and I will be saddened when I hear of the teens inspired to suicide by this song. maybe a little responsibility here?

1. Kate says:

Well the point of this song is to show you that you need to live a happy and healthy life and not TAKE ANY CHANCES WITH SUICIDE ?

118. Miranda Alana says:

If i die young,, burry me in satin they me down on a bed of roses sink me in the river at dawn! I❤ this song, reminds me of my best friend Jordan Patrick Smith who died from H1N1 Flu virus when he was 12. It was 3 days after his b-day!! Love ya buddy!! And i sing this song at my school a lot!!

119. Tess says:

oh my gosh i absolutly love this song. kimberly perry is so freaking pretty.

120. Holly says:

Ironic, I updated my fb status as me “is dead” to show tht i have struggles right now. Weirdly I found this video today and my problems deal with my mother and boyfriend and maybe leaving. The thought of moving and leaving everyone makes me want to die. The pictures remind me of my memories, but it is funny when you are dead and people start listening🙂

121. Sandi says:

When I first heard “If I die young” I thought it was about domestic abuse and thought it sad…when I realized it was about living life to the fullest so if you die young you’ve still had a great life I now think it to be one of the most beautiful, poetic and message giving song!! Wtg on creating such a wonderful song!

122. Kimberly says:

My brother’s fiance Hope died when she was 26, almost 8 months ago. I will never understand suicide. I love and miss you

123. mj says:

i cry when i listen this song.. my girlfriend have a sick . and she far away from me.. the sharp knife of a short life .. i hope this is not happen ….

124. Jennifer says:

This is the only song i can effectively sing, I sang it for my grandma just before she died of lymphoma. Her mom is still alive so I guess she died before her time. Near the end of her life she wasn’t very right in the head, so when I saw her shed a tear I couldn’t exactly tell wat she was feeling but I hope she felt better rather than worse.

125. harley dominick says:

my aunt had this playing at her funeral this song is just perfect n i can relate to it my aunt died at the age of 30 she was still young n this song played at her wake n funeral it means alot to me

126. emilee says:

i thought it was about suicide?

127. hannah says:

i love this song! reminds me of my friend

128. Rebecca says:

awesome song. it makes me think of the little time that i have to live my life and how i feel that i should live it to the fullest. in the life that god lets u have it shouldnt be full of mistakes but Hopes and Love

129. deathly hallows lover says:

thats so sweet. im touched.
    😄

130. grace says:

this does not help at all i am still confused what does the video mean are dead or not goodness

1. amanda says:

Its saying that you can die at any moment so make your life worth it and even though dyeing young is even sadder to hear they feel they have done enough in life to be taken at any moment. Kinda like the other song live like we’re dyeing

131. TJ says:

The first time I heard this song it touched my heart. Last year I was put on life support after getting H1N1. The doctors told my mom I only had a 20% chance to live. At 28 years old I have 2 young children and my only thoughts when I was dying was them. I begged god not to take me yet. The moment the doctors and nurses rushed in the last words out of my mouth to my mother where I will fight and please let my babies know I love them more than anything! After a 10 day fight and the doctors trying to pull me off the vent 3 times I finally woke up. I don’t remember much about that day but my brother told me I came up swinging lol. Through the whole ordeal I can remember people coming on and out of my room. I could hear them but couldn’t respond. There was a “sharp knife” for all of us. In the car on my way home from the hospital I heard this for the first time. I balled and thanked god for my life. There where 9 other people in ICU with me that had the same thing and only 2 of us walked out alive.

132. Latoya J says:

I honestly thought the song was beautiful when I first heard it, but slowly it just doesn’t seen right to me it some what glorifies death in my opinion.

133. david says:

My initial impression of the song was just as Kimberly Perry (the singer) explains above. Its not about dying but living for each moment.

Each day is a gift from God and is yours to do as you choose. Make the best of them and you will have a full and complete life.

134. John says:

This song is not deep or profound. It’s a drama inducing sappy, corny song that borders on being offensive. Can’t wait til it blows over and gets filed away with all the rest of the noise pollution they play on the radio.

135. lanaya says:

it is very sad because it just is?

136. Marcella says:

This is a very touching song—you don’t know how many times i clicked repeat!!

137. Robin says:

I lost my only child at 16 1/2 and she lived just this way. She had Cystic Fibrosis and knew it was possible to die young so she lived every day to it’s fullest. She had a smile that lit up the room wherever she went. I only wish I could live the way she did. I love this song. I have had family and her friends who say they hate the song because they think of her but also love the song. Keep it playing.

138. Ciara says:

I love this song. It made me cry when i first heard it. I lost my dad at 11 and he was 49, and i know he wasn’t that young but, Lets just say i gave up living for a while, i stopped getting good grades, i gave up on my music. I got back to my music maybe a year after losing him realizing he would be mad if i gave up something i love over him. So im 14 now and am determined to get better grades and go to the music school in ireland he wanted me to go to. I Love you Daddy.

139. kaitlynn says:

ii love the band perry idk there song just cheer me up all of them do🙂 and i love the song if i die young🙂 i love the band perry<3

140. wena says:

love your song .
    it is meaningful , very beautiful.

141. Fateen Zen says:

so luv tis song
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

142. charlotte says:

is the girl in this song stabbed by the boy who tells her he wil love her forever?

143. Gina says:

Always loved the song but love it even more knowing the meaning behind it. Its so how I feel about life!

144. Mr Fake Name says:

my wife hates this song but I really like it. it’s a great concept sung into a song.

145. Kathy says:

This was the song that was played at my friends funeral. She died at 21. This song whenever it is played, using the lyrics, is like a sharp knife of a short life. It hurts so much and hearing the song will always and forever make me tear up remembering standing at her funeral, watching her family walk into the room

146. Lele says:

I had a friend who died a month ago at the age of 16 from sickle cell anemia, I love this song, i listen too it everyday and it makes me think of her, when i hear this song i think about how she always did for everyone but never wanted anyone to return the favor! She was a very sweet girl and i miss her soo much!

147. Joseph says:

like this song,really.

148. Lisa says:

This song made me cry with a shine of a peaceful smile on my face. It reminds me of a guy I deeply loved passed at his 20s in an boating accidents. I sent roses in the river and prey each day for his peace on the other side. There were four times rainbow actually came out when I sent the roses in the river. This is the most beautiful song dedicated to those who lost someone who died young.

149. Julie says:

My 4 year old daughter past on 10.10.10 she was sick and on the way home from the hospital I heard this song on the radio and the one line that stood out to me was “lord make me a rainbow I’ll shine down on my mother she’s knows I’m safe with U when she stands under my colors” I knew she sent this song to me so I had it played at her service. Coincendentallly TBP had a signing and mini concert where I was able to watch them perform and thank them for creating a song that brings me so much comfort.

150. Tari says:

Honestly, I cringe every time I hear this song and have to turn it down or off, at my 16 year old daughter’s request, as she was diagnosed in 5/11 with cancer. I hear it too much, and it is constant reminder of what could happen. We go to the hospital every month, and when she is living her every day life, I want her to be worry-free and happy…. we do not need any reminders of this awful disease! I am sorry, but I will pass on this song…

151. Shandy says:

This song always makes me think of the Natalie Holloway tragedy – it even seems to lyrically mirror Natalie’s death, I just get that feeling oddly enough. I always choke up every time I hear this song, it brings on a sense of powerful emotion both sadness and joy and is absolutely timeless in every respect.

152. Darla says:

Thank you for explaining this song…we listened to this song over and over trying to figure out what was meant by the whole thing. We just couldn’t get it! So we looked it up and now we really like the song even more. It makes so much more sense and is so very true! Thank you so much.

153. Kendall says:

my cousin passed away of cancer in march she was so awesome i miss her and she was my favorite cousin i cried alot when she passed away im still sad and its been almost a year i wish she was still here.when i seen her in her casket i wanted to run out of the church and cry i cound’nt stand seeing her pass away it sucks without her but then i thought she is still with us in our hearts i love and miss her so much i hope i see her in heaven