Tommy’s Ten Things To Do: Family Summer Fun
June 17, 2014 10:43 AM
Frogman TommyRead More
As a father to three boys at home, we are always looking for fun things to do. Afterall, you have to keep the kids from getting bored. Here’s some of our favorite activities for the summer.
10. Take a Parks & Rec class/course. We are sort of partial to Karate but there are so many classes offered for families from dance to volleyball to quilt making! Whatever you are interested in, your local parks and rec has lots of summer fun offerings and even Kids camps for summer!
9. Go Fish. Yes as in “fishing pole & bait” fishing. Whether you head to a local lake or a simple fishing pond, it is always an adventure. Nothing like watching to looks on your kids faces when they catch the “Big one.”
8. Go to a museum. Today’s museums are not the stuffy & sanitized boring places of the past. They are interactive and fun! Perfect for families. Check out Exposition Park for some great choices including The California Science center which houses an actual space shuttle! Museums are generally good on a family budget too.
7. Take a hike! There are so many trails from urban parks to mountain areas. Trails for all levels of hikers from beginners to advanced. Kids love to explore, get them outdoors so they can!
6. Go to a theme park: You can never go wrong with a theme park. Plenty of choices around Southern California for parks. Many have summer discounts if you know where to look or even payment plans for season passes.
5. Buy a kiddie pool! Even if your kids are getting big, they will at some point take a dip in ANY pool. You can find the “quick set” pools anywhere from $50-$100 for small to moderate sized pools. If you are totally nuts, drop the 200-400 for the bigger one. You cannot go wrong with a pool during summer!
4. Go bowling! Before you say “it’s too expensive”, check out http://www.kidsbowlfree.com for a great summer program for the kids where they get to bowl for free! All you pay for is shoe rental and a family pass for parents and anyone over 15 years of age is only 25 bucks. It’s a great family activity and everyone loves to bowl!
3. Ride a bike. Still the best free form of entertainment. Bikes can go anywhere. Down the street, to the park. If you want to try something amazing, load them up and take them to the beach. Ride along the beach cities like Newport and Hunnington.
2. Go off roading. Whether it is a 4×4, quad, dirtbike or even a horse, the great outdoors is always a great way to spend time with the family and it is fun. Pack some snacks, food and plenty of water because most riding areas are in the desert. Many riding areas will also let you camp overnight so make a trip out of it!
1. Game night: Board games are still played by many families, but this is not limited to that. Today’s video game consoles have multiplayer modes that can accommodate a bunch of your family members so enjoy an evening at home, order some pizza and battle it out. Just don’t be embarrassed when your 6 year old does better at zombie elimination than you!