“If you’re gonna have a country music band, you gotta have a steal guitar. It’s basic honky tonk anatomy,” William Michael Morgan declared during his performance at the first ever Thursday night concert at the Brandin’ Iron in San Bernardino on June 15th.
Heavily influenced by traditional country music, William Michael paid tribute to the legends of the genre, but also surprised the audience with his covers of Train and Snow Patrol.
Despite some problems with the sound early in the set, the audience went crazy over his debut #1 single, “I Met a Girl” (penned by Sam Hunt), and his current single, “Missing.”
Several couples came together to dance to the title track to his debut album Vinyl, which he described as his favorite song on the record. Line dancers did an Electric Slide to Merle Haggard‘s “Ramblin’ Fever,” and a Tush Push to Mark Chesnutt‘s “It’s a Little Too Late.”
Another of William Michael’s favorites on the album was the poignant “I Know Who He Is,” which alludes to an aging father’s battle with Alzheimer’s Disease, had several attendees in tears.
He performed acoustic versions of Keith Whitley‘s “Don’t Close Your Eyes” and Garth Brooks‘ “Friends In Low Places,” the slowed-down intimate version of which emphasized the underlying sadness of the typically rowdy song.
He recalled being a young 19-year-old living on his own in Nashville for the first time, pursuing his dream of being a singer-songwriter, but not having a clue how to wash his own clothes, and never imaging that one day he’d be at the Brandin’ Iron in San Bernardino, having a Southern California audience sing one of his songs right back to him.
He wrapped the show with Kevin Fowler‘s “I Pulled a Hank Last Night,” before heading up to the merch table for pictures and autographs.
- People Like Me
- Beer Drinker
- It’s a Little Too Late (Mark Chesnutt cover)
- You Look Good In My Truck
- Cheap Cologne
- Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way (Waylon Jennings cover)
- Backseat Driver
- Chasing Cars (Snow Patrol cover)
- Drops of Jupiter (Train cover)
- Ramblin’ Fever (Merle Haggard cover)
- I Know Who He Is
- Medley: Whiskey Bent and Hell Bound (Hank Williams, Jr. cover) / Only Daddy That’ll Walk the Line (Waylon Jennings cover) / Friends In Low Places (Garth Brooks cover) / Chattahoochie (Alan Jackson cover) / Ramblin’ Man (Allman Brothers cover)
- Unwound (George Strait cover)
- Don’t Close Your Eyes (Keith Whitley cover)
- Friends In Low Places (Garth Brooks cover)
- Keep Your Hands to Yourself (George Satellites cover)
- I Met a Gil
- I Pulled a Hank Last Night (Kevin Fowler cover)